Egg yolks are the yellow part of an egg that is surrounded by the egg white. They are a rich source of nutrients, including vitamins A, D, E, and K, as well as folate and iron. Egg yolks are high in cholesterol, but they also contain beneficial fatty acids and antioxidants.
Egg yolks are a key ingredient in many recipes, including sauces, custards, pastries, and ice cream. They are also often used to add richness and flavor to dishes such as scrambled eggs, omelets, and fried eggs. Egg yolks are also used in some baking recipes, such as cakes and cookies, to add moisture and structure.
Egg yolks are generally considered to be more nutrient-dense than egg whites, but they are also higher in fat and calories. Some people choose to consume only the egg whites in order to reduce their intake of cholesterol and fat, while others incorporate both the yolks and whites in their diet.
Here are 10 things you can make with egg yolks:
- Hollandaise sauce: This classic sauce is made with egg yolks, butter, lemon juice, and a little bit of water or white wine. It’s often served with eggs Benedict or asparagus.
- Pasta carbonara: This Italian dish is made with egg yolks, bacon or pancetta, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper. It’s a creamy, savory sauce that pairs well with pasta.
- Creme brulee: This dessert is made with egg yolks, heavy cream, sugar, and vanilla extract. It’s baked in a water bath and topped with a layer of caramelized sugar.
- Mayonnaise: This condiment is made with egg yolks, oil, vinegar or lemon juice, and a little bit of mustard. It’s a versatile sauce that can be used in sandwiches, salads, and dips.
- Lemon curd: This sweet and tangy spread is made with egg yolks, butter, sugar, and lemon juice. It’s a popular filling for tarts, cakes, and cookies.
- Pastry cream: This creamy filling is made with egg yolks, milk, sugar, and cornstarch or flour. It’s often used to fill pastries, tarts, and cakes.
- Custard: This creamy dessert is made with egg yolks, milk, sugar, and flavorings such as vanilla or almond extract. It can be served on its own or used as a base for ice cream or other frozen desserts.
- Souffle: This light and fluffy dish is made with egg yolks, sugar, and whipped egg whites. It can be sweet or savory, and is often served as a fancy appetizer or dessert.
- Ice cream: Egg yolks are often used to add richness and flavor to homemade ice cream. The yolks are combined with milk, cream, sugar, and flavorings, and then churned in an ice cream maker.
- Scrambled eggs: Of course, you can also simply use egg yolks to make scrambled eggs! Just whisk the yolks together with a little bit of milk or cream and cook them in a pan over medium heat until they reach your desired level of doneness.